Building and checking R source packages for Windows.
This site provides services for building and checking R source
packages for Windows.
This service is intended for useRs who do not have Windows
available for checking and building Windows binary packages.
Windows useRs can easily build and check their packages on Windows with the setup
described in the R Installation and Administration manual.
Please do not upload packages of other maintainers
(particularly not without changing the Maintainer field to your own e-mail address, if you have permissions to do that),
because the maintainer indicated in the maintainer field of the DESCRIPTION file get response from us.
Both Bioconductor and CRAN do have build systems. If Bioconductor or CRAN packages are not available for Windows,
there is a certainly a reason and also this service won't be able to build the package properly.
Platform for R-oldrelease and R-release: Windows Server 2022, 2x Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4, 14 cores each, 2.4 GHz, 64Gb RAM.
Platform for R-devel: Windows Server 2022, 2x AMD EPYC 7443, 24 cores each, 2.85 GHz, 256Gb RAM.
Currently, the following R versions are running and ready for uploads under these directories:
- R-oldrelease: R-oldrelease, currently R-4.2.3
- R-release: R-release, currently R-4.3.0
- R-devel: R-devel, to be R-4.4.0
The procedure is as follows:
If your package has dependencies:
- Prepare your source package
(using R CMD build)
and add yourself including your e-mail address in the
"Maintainer" field of the
(this is important,
or you won't get any response from this server).
- Check the package on your platform
(using R CMD check).
- If the package passes the checks under your platform,
upload it using
ftp in binary mode
(login as anonymous) to the directories mentioned above on
Passive ftp can be performed with recent ftp clients (but not the Windows internal one) for the upload.
As an alternative, you can try out the upload page.
- Wait for half an hour or so and
check the e-mail address you have specified in the
field of the package's DESCRIPTION file.
An e-mail should have arrived that will explain where the binary and the log
files can be downloaded from: A randomly generated directory on this
server which will be deleted after roughly 72 hours.
- All CRAN packages and Bioconductor `software' packages are already installed.
- Additionally it is possible to install packages serially yourself by uploading them serially:
The first package to be uploaded should be the one that is needed by any other packages you upload.
Packages you installed yourself are deleted on a regular basis.
- Tools and software including libs and header files for some softwre products are available.
These are as follows:
- You are using this service on your own risk!
- We do not guarantee privacy nor confidentiality
of the uploaded files or data in any way:
Names of uploaded packages are always listable by everybody.
After the compilation process we try to hide the binary package as well as the logs
using randomly chosen directory names.
Nevertheless, everybody who knows or guesses those names can download those files.
- Although virus checking is performed on the compiled binary packages,
we do not guarantee that files made available for download
are free of malware (such as viruses or trojans).
- The results of R CMD check
are returned from a particular given system with a particular setup and might not be reproducible on other systems.
Hence we do not guarantee for the results of
R CMD check.
(CRAN maintainer for Windows binary packages)
This machine is hosted by the Department of Statistics, TU Dortmund, Germany.
last change: April 21, 2023